July 02, 2007

So, What is the Blazers Roster?

Here's what it looks like today:

C: Greg Oden, Joel Pryzbilla, Jamaal Magloire (Free Agent), Joel Freeland
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Channing Frye, Raef LaFrentz, Josh McRoberts
SF: Travis Outlaw (Free Agent), Ime Udoka (Free Agent), James Jones, Darius Miles
SG: Brandon Roy, Martell Webster, Rudy Fernandez
PG: Steve Francis, Jarrett Jack, Sergio Rodriguez, Petteri Koponen, Taurean Green

Let's see, that's 20 guys. Especially given that you can't carry that many people on your roster (15's the limit).

Now, let's do some math. First, subtraction.
-Steve Francis is getting bought out.
-Rudy Fernandez is either moving, per some prior quizzical commentary by Kevin Pritchard, or else is spending the year in Europe due to an expensive buy-out.
-Jamaal Magloire is not expected to return.
-Chances of Ime coming back are (I think) slim-to-none as well.
-Petteri Koponen is being touted as perhaps league ready by Mike Barrett, but more likely will head back to Europe as well.
-Joel Freeland will either be in Europe or the NBDL this year.
-Darius Miles sucks. Even if he gets better, the Blazers will continue to trick him into believing his knee hurts. I'm convinced he'll see the light and retire soon -- the team can't talk to him about it, but he's got to be getting that advice from somewhere, doesn't he? I mean, either way, he gets paid...

So now we're down to 13. Not bad. And I didn't even mention that alot of people think Taurean Green will be in the NBDL this year as well.

Where does that leave us?

C: Greg Oden, Joel Pryzbilla
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Channing Frye, Raef LaFrentz, Josh McRoberts
SF: Travis Outlaw, James Jones
SG: Brandon Roy, Martell Webster
PG: Jarrett Jack, Sergio Rodgriguez

Not bad. Frye can play at center. So can McRoberts, who will also put in time at SF in the summer league. But we're thin on swingmen (we should have a back-up SF/SG -- but maybe James Jones is that guy?) and at the point.

What's coming next? Speculation has us getting a stud small forward, either as fall-out from the draft day trading or in free agency. Travis Outlaw is, possibly, the future for us at the position, but I really, really don't think anyone believes he's the present. Joel Pryzbilla is a good guy, but he's a stiff with a contract that we'd probably like to move, and he's a 7-foot stiff which means that there will be buyers. And Jarrett Jack is a quality NBA point guard who doesn't fit in the run-n-gun mode that we're starting to cultivate. So, what's coming?

I see Joel and Jarrett getting moved with Rudy Fernandez, in some sort of trade for some sort of stud SF. I think the Fernandez curiousness is all based on the fact that the trade still isn't finalized, due to the need of the league to screen the health of the players involved, and the next trade is based on moving Fernandez in the deal (for money reasons). Pure speculation, of course. The best kind. I haven't even done any trade checkers or anything to figure out the money. Feel free to speculate in the comments.

Of course, that leaves us thin at PG, still. I think we're still looking to pick up Steve Blake in free agency, and I think he wants to come here. And, given the movement, perhaps Koponen does get time on our roster this year.

So, here's where I see us in a few weeks:

C: Greg Oden, Channing Frye
PF: LaMarcus Aldrige, Raef LaFrentz, Josh McRoberts
SF: Stud-to-be-named, Travis Outlaw, James Jones
SG: Brandon Roy, Martell Webster
PG: Steve Blake, Sergio Rodgriguez, Petteri Koponen.

That's 13 guys (if Darius leaves like he should, otherwise he's the silent 14th on the roster). Maybe bring Freeland into and carry him as a reserve. Maybe sign Udoka if he'll take a small contract.

That's my shot. I'm calling that. I think the Blazers are all for building for the future, but if they can bring in a stud young SF now who they can sign on for 5 years, they'd want to let him develop with the rest of the team. I'd think that's a no-brainer. The team's preaching patience, but you know they smell play-offs in this season's air...

What do you think?

No comments: