Kevin Pritchard, the Blazers' general manager who always seems to be thinking two moves ahead, says Portland's roster is set and fans should not expect any major trades in the near future.Which is fine, I guess. I just want to know (as does Dave over at Blazers Edge) what the rotation is, particularly at SF and PG.
"We're not actively looking around right now," Pritchard said. "We like what we have in place."
That roster, apparently, won't count Joel Freeland, the Blazers' project center from the UK, this season.
So I asked Pritchard if Freeland could land on the Blazers' NBDL team?I suspect that Travis Outlaw is our starter at SF, at least in the short term. He's got as much staring experience there (if not more) than James Jones, who I think would be a good part of a second team, providing some scoring punch (along with Martell) and leadership on an otherwise developing back-up squad.
"For him to go to the NBDL, he would count against one of our 15 roster spots, so we can't do that right now," Pritchard said. "We're trying to help him get in a better situation."
At PG, I think the short-term answer is that Steve Blake has the starter's job, but I think he understands that he's a stop-gap while the younger guys develop, and I could see him being relegated to the second team to hold down that group while Jarrett Jack gradually re-assumes the starting role. Sergio's another year off.
So, here's my Blazers depth chart:
1st Team
C: Oden, PF: Aldridge, SF: Outlaw, SG: Roy, PG: Blake
2nd Team:
C: Pryzbilla, PF: Frye, SF: James, SG: Webster, PG: Jack
Back-ups
C: LaFrentz, PF/SF: McRoberts, SF: Darius Miles (currently injured), SG: n/a, PG: Rodriguez, Green.
Biggest question is whether the Blazers carry Taurean Green on their roster or ship him to the NBDL. I figure they move him down for the playing time, perhaps with McRoberts (though I'd actually expect McRoberts to travel with the team, for his size).
So, apparently no more moves coming (unless this is a mis-information campaign), so let's get this freakin' show on the road...


No comments:
Post a Comment