July 09, 2007

Over-reacting to Oden

John Canzano has Greg Oden as the most influential figure in Oregon sports. I disagree. Oden is influential, and will become more so. But popularity and influence are different. I would peg Paul Allen or Phil Knight as being at the top of the Oregon sports heap right now, influence wise.

Meanwhile, the Blazers are in Vegas, where they have lost their first two Summer League games. Understandibly, a lot of emphasis has been placed on Greg Oden's performance. However, I think it's just too much. After his first game, Jason Quick was prompted to put up a blog post entitled "In Defense of Oden." After a better, but still lackluster, second game, the top of page A1 on the Oregonian says "Greg Oden plays better, but Blazers still lose."

Several other sites are focussing on Oden's performance at the Summer League as the key story for the Blazers so far. It's not surprising given that he was the number one pick in the draft. At the same time, however, he's a rookie, and a rough start should be expected (and some slack should be cut). Greg Oden will grow into the league. It'll just take more than 5 games to do so.

Dave at Blazers Edge does a good job of highlighting the Real Big Stories of the Summer League. Give his article a read, if you're only going to click on one of these links. I think what we're seeing in these games is that Sergio's not-ready-for-primetime, and that we need stability at the PG. Also, I think we'll see in the first half of the season whether Martell's going to make or break his career in Portland. I predict he goes elsewhere (and succeeds with new coaching). I had high hopes for him, but I think that, like Jermaine O'Neal, he needs some fresh air before he reaches his potential. Which is sad. I think Dave's right, though, that one of the most interesting stories is the show being put on by Taurean Green. I like him a lot. Tough-nosed kid, though under-sized. I'm intrigued to see where he ends up this year.

No comments: