July 18, 2007

Outlaw and Blake in, Ime and Mags out. Latest Blazer Line-up.

So, in the past few days the Blazers have re-signed Travis Outlaw, re-acquired Steve Blake, and let Jamaal Magloire walk. And Ime Udoka should be with another team in the next couple of days (which is fine with me -- he's a good guy and all, but a 30 year-old with bad knees isn't what we need). And James Jones finally becomes official.

So, here's where our line-up stands today.

Probable roster:
C: Greg Oden, Joel Pryzbilla, Raef LaFrentz.
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Channing Frye, Josh McRoberts
SF: James Jones, Travis Outlaw, Darius Miles (injured)
SG: Brandon Roy, Martell Webster
PG: Steve Blake, Jarrett Jack, Sergio Rodriguez

That's 14 on the roster. We can have 15 total.

Overseas or in development:
C: Joel Freeland
PF: n/a
SF: n/a
SG: Rudy Fernandez
PG: Petteri Kopenen, Taurean Green

As I understand it, NBDL guys count against our roster. Freeland probably goes back to Europe. Green is a nice player who, as I understand it, has a deal with the team, so he's on this side of the pond, playing in Idaho. And he makes 15 on our roster.

Portland's (not-so-secretly) looking for something more at the SF. Not a huge splash, but a quality starter who, I assume, will come off the payroll in 2009, when the Blazers appear to be shooting to blow a huge wad keeping their young studs and picking up big-name free agents for a run at the Title. To get that SF, we'll need to move at least one player, and probably two.

Who goes? I think Martell will stick unless we trade his potential for a decent contract that isn't sheer potential. Joel's the big name being floated as a contract we want to move. And most people assume (probably correctly) that Jarrett Jack's days in town are numbered. So I'm looking for a deal of Joel and Jarrett in a 2-for-1 for a SF, or Joel, Jarrett, and Martell in a 3-for-2 for a SF and SG. So, here's the probable roster I see for opening day:

C: Greg Oden, Raef LaFrentz
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Channing Frye, Josh McRoberts
SF: Unknown-player, James Jones, Travis Outlaw, Darius Miles (injured)
SG: Brandon Roy, Martell Webster (or Unknown-player)
PG: Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez.

That's 13 players. In that scenario, I could see the team maybe putting Taurean Green on the bench. And maybe pulling Joel Freeland into the country to play in the NBDL, where he could presumably get more playing time than he is in Europe, and where he could be available when LaFrentz goes down with the injury du jour.

Interested to hear your thoughts on what the Blazers will look like in a month or two.

No comments: