October 26, 2007

Sam Adams Boycott, Day 4

The boycott's still on, people. Sam Adams has not yet acknowledged the legitimacy of Sam Adams.

I was sitting at breakfast with some lawyer friends today, discussing the boycott. The discussion on their part turned to the legitimacy of the action taken by Boston Brewing to protect their brand from dilution. Which is why, though I am a lawyer, I hate lawyers. We're too good at over-analyzing these simple issues and legitimizing bad arguments in our own minds. As the Boston Brewing Legal Department has demonstrated, lawyers have little in the way of common sense most of the time.

Boston Brewing is stupid, and is acting like the typical middle school bully hitting up all the smaller kids for lunch money. The bully doesn't need the lunch money, has no really logical reason why the kid who was given said money by their parents shouldn't get to use it, and only does what he does because he's gotten used to being able to run roughshod over the other children on the schoolground. Like that bully, Boston Brewing, with a moment of gentle and serious introspection, would realize that it's an asshole and that, really, there's room in this world for a kid who was given lunch money by his mom and dad to use it legitimately to buy his own lunch, which in no conceivable way threatens the bully.

So, keep up the good work. And, by work, I mean continue to not drink crappy Sam Adams Beer, nor to give them your money, and make sure the word on the boycott spreads. I've been meaning to put up links to stuff going on related to this story and the protest, but I haven't been able to. Check the latest at Witigonen, which is keeping tabs of everything (including updated coverage, the online petition, and so on) and Mark and Dave's site, which is being updated everyday with new links.

Libertad! Keep the world free for people named Sam Adams to use their name in a website address!

No comments: