September 07, 2007

I hate Telemarketers

Therefore, this is about the best thing ever...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably the funniest segment ever recorded dealing with telemarketers. Another way to cut down on those types of calls is to sign up on myOculus.com This is free site that acts as a filter to prevent telemarketers from getting unfiltered access to consumers.

The website deals with a pretty straightforward problem—most consumers don’t like telemarketers trying to sell them products that the consumer doesn’t want. But with $700 billion worth of items bought over the phone each year, it must be working someplace. The idea with MyOculus.com is that consumers get to choose who contacts them. Plus, consumers can change their choices anytime. If I am in need of siding, I can add that to my list. After I buy siding, I get to remove it.

Consumers go to the website and register or re-register for the Do Not Call List. Then, the consumer is given options of more than 350 unique areas of interest from which to select. They then choose the days and times they will allow those calls to be made. They can further choose to be contacted via email or direct mail.

Through the site, consumers can also find guidance for alleviating Internet spam and junk mail. If you sign and request to receive zero marketing calls then you will not get calls. MyOculus.com was conceived in response to requests made by consumers. In August 2004, founder and CEO, Shawn Rohrer, began the process of interviewing and collecting data from consumers. The premise for the business is fairly straightforward: people won’t buy things over the phone that they don’t want. MyOculus.com allows its members to specify their unique areas of interest and the firm commits not to contact them about anything other than the things they’ve specified.

While it is almost impossible to stay invisible to telemarketing efforts, this probably gets you close.