Oregon absolutely rolled Michigan yesterday, after previously doing what, frankly, was expected and rolling their 1-AA foe in their season opener.
Of course, doing what's expected isn't always easy. I mean, just ask Michigan. They managed to keep it close against Appalachian State last week, but lost to their 1-AA warm-up. Yesterday they were expected by everyone (including me) to stomp on the Ducks, and got their asses handed to them instead.
I've seen at least a couple of titles in my Bloglines (from ESPN, etc.) that alluded to yesterday's loss being an embarassment. I can see how it is, in the sense that losing 39-7 on your own field to an unranked opponent is embarassing. But, really, should we be so shocked that Oregon took care of business?
Don't get me wrong. I'm aware that Oregon has had its troubles the last few years. But they have very good seasons (often surprisingly good) mixed in with their disappointments, and we shouldn't forget that. Sure, they lost in their not-so-bowl game last year. But the year before we were #5 at the end of the season, and since 2000 we've also been ranked #7 and #2 at season's end.
I suspect we won't be a top-10 team by the end of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see is in the top 25 in the next week or two, and further wouldn't be surprised to see us in the rankings for most of the season.
Of course, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the Beavers after they got curb-stomped in Cincy last week...
By the way, not sure anyone noticed, but Dennis Dixon was named this week's College Negro Quarterback of the Week by some blog. Not sure how necessary such awards are, but at least our team's getting recognized somewhere.
For some more interesting scoop from the game, check out today's article by my man JC. Sometimes being a sports reporter pays off. Sure, he had to watch OSU get stomped, but he got to see yesterday's drubbing and take in the sights afterwards. Someday I've gotta by Johnny a beer.
September 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment