October 27, 2005

How can you not be a Joey Harrington fan?

I've been suffering through 3 years as a Detroit Lions fan, solely because of Joey Harrington's run with that team. When I play my ESPN 2K5 football game, I'm the Lions. I've made a lot of roster moves, but Harrington is still at the helm.

Sure, the guy's had a ton of trouble in his pro carreer. The fan in me wants to raise all the issues around him. The lack of an O line that can protect him. The inability of his #1 receiver, Charles Rogers, to stay on the field for a season. The deterioration of the many weapons he's been given (whether it be the injured FB, the injured WR's, or the injured RB). I mean, really, what is the guy supposed to do?

But then Jeff Garcia comes in and wins his first game starting in Joey's place, and it is clear that some of the issues Joey's facing are his. He's not mobile. He doesn't fit into his team's offense. He doesn't throw the long ball.

So, as a Joey fan who's also a realist, I have to acknowledge what John Canzano recently pointed out on his blog: you can be a fan while still accepting the limitations of your sports heroes.

Kind of what we've had to do with this year's Blazers, I guess. Definitely not a play-off team this year, probably not next year either, but at least they're finally a team I can respect, and so they're my team once again.

All of this simply to point you to this article displaying what a true class act Joey is. If you're not a fan, you should be. This is the kind of athlete we should get behind.

1 comment:

hannahhas said...

Rusty- Great article... I do love me some Joey... starter or not...