June 06, 2007

Is it bad luck?

Today, while walking back to my office from getting an allergy shot, I came upon a tough decision to make.

Ahead of me, on the sidewalk, was a ladder. The ladder was clearly in use, leaned against a 20+ foot building. The bottom of the ladder was too near some newspaper boxes to get around it. And, beyond the boxes was the street.

Artist's Rendering of the Troublesome Scene

I didn't get a picture, so the above lays out the issue for you.

Now, mind you, this was mid-block, so I certainly couldn't just turn around. I mean, if I did that, I'd lose at least 30 whole seconds of my life that I'd never, ever, ever get back.

So, what to do? Walk under the ladder, and accrue the requisite 7 years of bad luck (or whatever you get), or step into the street and risk immediate and far-more-permanent unluckiness?

I opted for the former, sure that there's some sort of cosmic exception for unwilling and forced underladder passage. I hope I'm right.

By the way, I didn't count how many times I stepped on cracks, but I'm sure my mom's not feeling too hot right now...

No comments: