June 22, 2007

International flight horror story

If you're flying Continental to or from Europe any time soon, this person's story may be of some interest. Don't know if it's true, but if it is, W-O-W!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want to offer up a little bit of reasoning on why you are leaving? I can't help but wonder if its related to what happened between you and Betsy.

If so, I think it's dumb for you to go somewhere else. You bring a point of view I can't find on Metroblogs.

I know this isn't the Metroblog site, but I figured you might be tempted into e-mailing me or giving a more candid answer.

Rusty said...

I'd planned on putting something up here after I'm gone. But, quick and dirty (and I'll fill it in better later):

It's not about the Betsy thing. Out of everyone at MB, Betsy's the one I like the most.

A few years back (you can see it in the Late Nov/Early Dec archives on my old "Le Blogue" -- there's a link up in the title block on this page), I was diagnosed w/ depression and some acute anxiety issues. I had to go on prozac and also used xanax for break-through anxiety for a period of time. Over a year or so, things got better, I got off the prozac, and all was good. However, lately I've been starting to feel some of the same internal jumble that I felt leading up to that last episode. I think part of it is stress - a new job in August, a daughter reaching her terrible twos, and a couple of distinct episodes at the Metblog that weren't pleasant at all (one I won't disclose to anyone, and then the whole Pride Parade thing). So I'm eliminating a stressor, the MetBlog.

I've actually been kicking around the idea of leaving since May; the recent health angle is new and has finally driven me to make a decision I've been pondering for awhile. And, after letting Betsy know I was leaving, I honestly felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. And, so you know, she e-mailed me back with some very kind words, which I expected given how long we've known eachother and the amount of mutual respect I believe we have for eachother.

In terms of the point of view I bring there, I suspect I'll go back to using my own blog to share it, so hopefully you'll still see some of it here. But the venue of the Metblog just isn't right for me. Between the pressure to do a certain amount of posting, the sheer number of people (many trolls) who comment on what's written, and the perpetual fear that an employer will read it an decide to dooce me, it just isn't worth it to me anymore.

Thanks for the encouraging words, though...