June 02, 2006

Millions of peaches...

Peaches for me. Peaches for free!

Last year, as you may remember, was a banner year for peach harvesting at the Rusty household. In fact, my one little peach tree in the back yard yielded so many of the sweet, furry delights that I was able to negotiate a deal with my blog-buddy Betsy: peaches for peach pies. It was a great deal, I have to say. The only loser was my waistline.

My bumper crop was so huge, in fact, that my peach tree made a concerted effort at pulling itself down. Several of the limbs broke under their own weight, and by the end of the summer I found myself having to give it a considerable haircut in order to preserve it's future (at least for another year) as well as make my lawn passable (my tree was, essentially, a horizontal sprawl...).

I actually wondered if my aggressive chop-chop-chopping would shock the tree into non-production this year, but by the hard little furry orbs forming on the branches, I can see that what's left of my tree will be treating me with delightful fruit in a month or so. I just need to find a way to get the peaches at the top, since the reachable branches were the ones with the highest casualty rate last year...

Joy!

Betsy: trade again?

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Absolutely! I might branch out a bit as well: peach cobbler, peach scones, peach salsa...