August 03, 2005

Tennessee Red's

Lots of writing today. I've been spending an undisclosed amount of time pent up, waiting for a chance to share again. Kinda like St. Helens. But, well, not.

Portland has a number of fine BBQ-type establishments. I've tried many of them. I have yet to try all. However, as I'm on a diet that calls for me to eat plenty of meat (tho' it's not Atkins), I'm again working on expanding my knowledge base.

If you look down and to the right (hmm, s'pose that depends on when you're reading this...okay, just somewhere along the right) you'll see that I've taken to listing some of the places in town I enjoy eating at. There are 3 BBQ establishments there: Big Daddy's, Cannon's, and Campbell's. As time has passed, it has become clear in my mind (though some have disagreed) that Big Daddy's is my favorite, and Cannon's is a pretty close second. I just put Campbell's up to be polite, truth-be-told, and out of fear that I may be crucified for omitting a Portland institution.

Anyway, today some friends and I decided to venture to another local BBQ establishment for lunch, and we landed at Tennessee Red's. I ordered my usual (brisket w/ baked beans and collard greens) and chomped away.

My conclusions: The meat was good and pretty lean, but I didn't like the preparation. It tasted gassy (and not smoky), although I don't always like smoky either. The beans were great, I suppose. A bit too sugary. And the grens were good quality, but a little too firm. And the sauce left something to be desired.

All in all, an okay meal. Over-priced in relation to some of the competition. Not horrible by any means, but not where I'd recommend you go for BBQ.

If Nick at ExtraMSG ever reads this, he'll give me a verbal lashing, I'm sure. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last. However, he takes food seriously, so whatever comments I may have baited him into, they'll be well-thought-out. Just wrong, in my tongue's opinion.

Goodnight, moon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - TNT and I are going to have BBQ for our wedding reception (a.k.a. big party with good BBQ) - and so far we've really only thought of Busters.

I know - kill me now.

So do you think we should use Big Daddy's? Do they cater? If I used them would you come? HA!

Denise
And So It Goes

Rusty said...

Hmm. My recommendation would depend upon meat of choice. If you're talking ribs, I'd actually steer you towards Cannon's (who does catering). Brisket, I'd steer you towards Big Daddy's (who also caters). Either way, my presence would be contingent on how it worked into my busy hair-washing schedule.

Anonymous said...

Ok - you better not use having to wash your hair as an excuse - I know better than that.

We were planning brisket, ribs and chicken (also needing beans and cornbread from caterer). The brisket is the most important to me as it is my favorite.

D - ASIG

Rusty said...

I'd go w/ BD's, then. They have excellent buffalo chicken (but it's actually full-sized) with a wide range of spiciness.

I guess hair-washing isn't a good excuse. You'll have to keep me updated.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I read it.

I don't like Tennessee Red's. The times I've been there the food almost tasted chemically, or sooty. I suspected that they were using a drum pit without the vents open at all and the pit needed a good cleaning. Who knows. Nasty stuff, though.

Is BD's open on Monday? I think some time we should hit BD's and LOW on the same day. They're both on Hawthorne. You can buy at BD's and I'll buy at LOW.

Then at least you could explain why in God's name you like that stuff.

Rusty said...

Took you longer to get to than I expected...

I am intrigued by your idea, and will accept your challenge. You'll have to wait until sometime in September, though, as I'm swamped until then.

Since you're here, and since you're anti-BD, maybe you could offer Denise a catering suggestion?

PDXFoodDude said...

In my opinion, LOW beats the others in your list. At least on Mondays. The rest of the week I just don't eat BBQ

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who caters BBQ, but Campbell's would probably be my second choice. When they're on, they're quite good. I think in a catering situation where it's buffet, you'd be able to pick the best slices, etc, so the inconsistencies wouldn't be as important. But I don't know if they cater.

Email me when you're ready for the head to head Q-down.

Betsy said...

I want to be a fly on the wall for this one...!

Anonymous said...

Rodney and Kyle of LOW BBQ got new jobs and so are going to be shutting down their operations permanently. Next Monday will be their last day. Over at PortlandFood.org, we're going to be meeting for a final meal there next Monday at 5:30pm. I think you should join us Rusty. (You too Betsy.) See here:

http://portlandfood.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=451