A few days ago, good ol' Jack Bog posed a question: was it time to go back to the Blazers?
To avoid a bunch of re-typing, allow me to cut-n-paste my reply:
Back in my personal blogging days, I used to have regular tirades on the
unlikeability of the Blazers and the moves they needed to make.Conditions for my return:
-Trade Zach
-Trade Darius
-Trade Ruben
-Trade Damon
-Trade DA
Now, my criteria for return changed over time. For instance, Ruben
professed personal change and the elimination of alcohol in hopes of improving
his off-court life, and turned into the on-court soul of the team. So I could
handle keeping him. Damon took the infamous pee test, and passed, despite the
condemnation he faced from players in the league. So I could handle keeping him.
Both Zach and Darius have good times, as well as bad. I'd like them much more if
we weren't paying them as much as we are, and if Zach wasn't offensive option
one, which gives him a big head and legitimizes his me-first, no-pass style of
play.I still think we should find a way out of DA's contract. He's unwatchable. I
still would rather we found a taker for Darius and, to a lesser extent, Zach.
But, given the moves made by the team in new players and coaches, and given my
honest belief John Nash "gets it" while Whitsitt didn't, I think I can go back
this year. I think the team has shown that they are committed to taking good
steps to make the right things happen.And I feel good about the fact that it's going to be off-the-court
improvement first. This year likely won't be pretty on the court. Probably the
same next year. But I can handle a re-build as long as it doesn't look like a 7
year process, and as long as the players on the team are quality, likeable guys
who are obviously trying.So, sign me up for actually paying for a ticket this year, and for publicly
cheering for the home team.
How quickly things change. In the last day, the team has officially done right by one of the good guys (Reef), cleaned out some dead weight (DA and Nick), and is poised to sign some new, exciting talent (Dixon and Smith). Although the joke is going around that Portland may finally have a team that could make it to the Final Four, the goings-on on and off of the court have warmed this fan's heart. I now, officially, love the Blazers again.
For those who never saw me in the old days, that's quite a statement. And believe me, this hard-won love will be hard to keep, until the team builds more trust with myself and others in the community who are finally opening up again to the team that's shamed us for so long.
Now, it's just a matter of time. This year, I think, will make or break the team's reputation for several to come. Here's hoping our boys make a name for themselves through hard work and heart, and not through burning blunts and flying fingers (or headbands, in Darius' case...)


No comments:
Post a Comment