May 14, 2008

Can Obama Win?

I think a better question might be "does it matter?"

JLowe sent me a link to an interesting article discussing the inherent racism on display in our current Democratic race for the presidency.

Basically, the point raised is this: Hillary Clinton asserts, perhaps not always openly, that she's the only candidate who can challenge John McCain, and the primary reason is because she's white.

The article also notes that Barack Obama understands the challenge of race in this election: "as Obama said in a recent interview, people may need to get their head around the concept of an African-American even seeking the presidency, let alone winning it."

And that, I think, is an important point. I think that it's important for Barack to be the candidate to face John McCain in the actual presidential election not only because I believe he is the best person for the White House (yes, I'll be voting for him, despite being a registered Republican), but also because it will finally break a glass ceiling that is in place in our current society.

Sure, people have a problem with the concept of a female president. But, as a whole, women have had much more ready access to power and opportunity in this country (especially white ones) than racial minorities. By admitting that, as a white, she's in a better position to win, Hillary Clinton reinforces a shameful truth of America today--that we only see skin deep--and asks us to affirm its correctness.

America may not be ready for a black president. I hope we are. But for those who can't wrap their head around the idea, the only way to get them to acknowledge the possibility, and start thinking about substance over form (or content over color) is to force them to consider whether to cast their vote for a black (or yellow, or green, or red, or whatever) person and then explain why they won't.

Can Obama win? I don't know. I hope so. But, whether he can or can't, Obama for President is, in my mind, an important message to perpetuate for as long as possible.