February 22, 2006

Un-digging the hole

E-mail exchange between JLowe and me yesterday (edited for editorial purposes):

Me: Do you want to know what i've done for my wife's b-day? It's evil.

JLowe: I want to know, but only if it is truly evil.

Me: It involves a $xyz loan that she doesn't know about.

JLowe: Are there repercussions for me? Because it sounds like there are...

Me: Sounds like you're ready to take a guess.

JLowe: Sounds like a new piece of compressed coal made into a clear and shiny centerstone for somebody's ring...

Me: Indeed. It looks quite nice. By far the nicest rock she's had yet. She has no idea it's coming.

JLowe: No way my true response would make it past the company spamguard.

Me: Sorry. Had to be done. You're impromptu San Francisco birthday jaunt for your wife forced my hand.

JLowe: Planned it months ahead. Wouldn't really call it impromptu. Besides, that was more a matter of filling in a hole I dug for myself. [Ed. note: JLowe did indeed dig himself a hole while planning a birthday event for his wife. It's a long story. However, he quickly recovered by booking a surprise weekend in San Fran, which he and his wife will enjoy this very weekend.]

Me: Aren't most of these sorts of purchases just a way for us to un-dig ourselves?

Indeed. Left to our own devices, most men believe strongly in taking the path of least resistance. And, usually, following our instincts is a path to destruction. Of course, it doesn't help when our friends help dig the holes for us.

For JLowe, the hole was dug as he was trying to lump his wife's birthday together with a ski weekend being planned by others in the office. Sure, whe would've enjoyed herself, but for her that wasn't the point. The point was that she wanted something special.

JLowe compensated, and that dug me a hole. My wife noticed JLowe's heroics, and now wonders when I'm going to plan an impromptu holiday.

Now I've dug JLowe a hole. His wife will hear about my surprise to my wife, and totally start pressing for an upgrade to her wedding ring. Hence JLowe's desire to respond so profanely. Eventually, he'll un-dig himself, and re-dig me.

In the end, this game is a good one. Without it, I'd totally end up low-balling my wife, and that wouldn't be good for her or me. A little competition forces me to find gifts that more fully express my affection for my wife than I would if I were left to my own devices.

So, thanks for the hole, JLowe. And enjoy your new one.

And happy birthday, my lovely bride (and JLowe's too, while I'm at it).

No comments: