February 15, 2006

Chiropractors

I went to law school with a chiropractor. Really didn't care for the guy.

I, like most people, consider chiropractics to be a pseudo-, or even junk-science. A practice for people who couldn't make it as doctors (much like dentistry, or taxidermy).

But then my back started hurting to such a degree that I finally decided to go see one.

Results are mixed. Usually, I feel good after seeing him, for about an hour or two, and then I start feeling all sorts of twinges and stiffenings that, generally, just make me feel like he's actually trying to tweak me into coming back regularly.

And, sadly, it's working. In the last month, I've been to the chiropractor about 6 times, and tomorrow will make 7-ish.

I ask you: What do you think of chiropractics in general, and what better alternatives would you suggest?

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I shared your skepticism - until I watched a chiropractor in NYC work miracles on my then-husband, and then work miracles on me (while I was 6+ months pregnant, no less..)

We managed to find a good chiropractor here in PDX, but I go to see him on an as-needed basis, and he doesn't try to talk me into more frequent visits. It's like with every other profession - there are quacks, there are great providers, and then there's everyone else in the middle...

Anonymous said...

Try heroin as an alternative to the bone braker. My wife is fond of your bone braker, so maybe the problem lays in your really screwed up back.