Oh, what a happy day
I've had this planned out for weeks. I went back to work from my 2-month hiatus on January 3rd, happily enjoying a 4-day work week to ease back in. My plan was to take January 9th off for another 4-day week, then celebrate the MLK Jr. Holiday at home for a record third straight 4-day week. When I remembered I had an important meeting on the 9th, I was able to score today off, so my record will still be intact (and I'll have a 4-day weekend to boot!).
But I should have known there was no way I'd actually be allowed to enjoy the spoils of victory. And I was notified last night as my water heater busted forth in an orgy of gushing hot water and hatred.
Panicked, I turned off all water to the house and mopped up what I could. I then instantly consulted the interweb for ideas on how to get free on the cheap.
From my new techno-novice understanding of water heaters, I can tell you this: my T&P valve leaked, indicating a pressure build-up in the heater.
This morning I went to a local plumbing retailer and looked over the water heater options. As Christmas has just passed, my anniversary is next weekend, and my wife's birthday is next month, I was not at all thrilled at the thought of laying out precious dough for a new appliance. The salesman directed me to the service department, where I conversed with somebody who said that if it was just the T&P valve, I should turn the heater back on and see what happened.
Bad advice. I did, and a new gush of hot hot water ensued.
A few calls around to get price quotes, and then back to the same service department I'd spoken with before. This time, a different person heard about my conversation with the first and was incredulous. After I convinced her that I was speaking the truth about what I'd been told, she explained that I could sink money into parts for my 13 yr-old water heater, or I could buy a new one. I opted for the latter.
So today is spent awaiting my new water heater so that I can bathe. My wife, smartly, went to her mom's so that she and the baby could clean up. Someone, however, has to stay here and await our fluid salvation...
Thank God for Tivo.
January 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment