January 28, 2006

Blazer re-cap

Well, tonight I finally managed to stumble back to the Rose Garden to take in another Blazer's game.

Despite prior declarations to the contrary, I've found that, despite my decision to be a Blazer fan again, having a baby around the house has a negative effect on such aspirations. I manage to listen to Primetime on The Fan and Courtside Monday Night on KXL, and I still manage to get to the Blazer Blog (link to the right) at least once a week, but I've been only loosely aware of recent Blazer developments (the Ruben issues, the recent 4-game win streak following a long dry spell, etc.)

But, when a friend at work put out an e-mail inviting us to buy our way into a night in a suite to watch the New Jersey Nets come to town, I couldn't wait to fork over my $60 for a night of beer, food, and Vinsanity.

Of course, Vince ended up sitting out the game with a sore back, but that didn't stop me from revelling in the fact that I was finally seeing Jason Kidd in person, and getting to enjoy the return of Uncle Cliffy. And, of course, seeing the current Blazers rotation would be interesting as well.

Here's my re-cap of the night.
  • First Quarter: What's gotten into these guys? After hearing about their lackluster performance against Denver, and their "spirited" practice yesterday, I expected them to be a bit fired up. But every time I looked up, they were doubling up the Nets in the points column. First it was 4-2; of course, that's not so exciting. Then it was 20-10. That's more like it. Good stuff. Watching Zach Randolph, who I've heard has improved in his passing, I was underwhelmed at his performance. Not a strong night shooting or rebounding, and a distinct lack of passing as well. Either it was an off night, or our expectations of Zach in the passing department are so low that a single dish is cause for celebration. Knowing that I would eventually be driving home, I front-ended the drinking, which will explain how my notes get less and less impressive as the game goes on. By the end of the first quarter, I've downed 6 Mirror Ponds and two swallows of a surprisingly ass-flavored Henry's before deciding that it's water time. But it was a nice way to celebrate a night with the fellas. Score: 28-14.
  • Second Quarter: Semi-impressed by the new display light ring around the middle tier of the Rose Garden. It's a bit busy, but it looks sharp. One thing I wonder every time Jarret Jack does something noteworthy: did he sign an endorsement with Jack Daniel's? Whenever he scores, a display pops up declaring that "Jack lives here" while also diplaying a bottle of JD and the Ol' Number 7 logo. Interesting. Seeing solid play. Juan Dixon, who I've never passed up an opportunity to insult, looks good on the floor, making plays at both ends. Definitely has earned his place on the roster, even if he is still too small. Not to be a racist, but at times I pinched myself; with all of the white guys we have on the floor (Joel, Viktor, and Steve Blake), I wondered if I'd accidentally gone to a Utah game. Or maybe a Gonzaga game, although the distinct lack of an Adam Morrison style Pornstache convinced me that I hadn't accidentally driven to Spokane tonight. Score: 48-34.
  • Halftime: Just noticed--no BlazerDancers tonight. This sucks. Two of my three nights at the Garden this season, there have been no BlazerDancers. We need them. I need them. For the love of all things good and holy, Paul, direct some of your cabbage into their wallets so they can make it to more games. Instead, we have an asian drum squad (good, but not compelling) and some kids bowling for McDonald's gift certificates or something equally exciting. Good thing we have food here...
  • Third Quarter: In lieu of the BlazerDancers, a squad of middle-school dancing girls takes the floor. I immediately look away, commenting that the writhing of these young ladies just isn't right, and watching them is worse. However, one of my friends tries to encourage me back by reminding me that, some day, they will be adults. Sorry, not biting. As the lead starts to get whittled down, my friends Trav and Brian start quoting Tenacious D to eachother. This is more exciting than watching Cliffy drop back-to-back three's on us, so my attention shifts away from the disaster on the floor. Score: 70-61
  • Fourth Quarter: Not even bothering with notes anymore. On my fourth bottle of water, playing games like "Who'd You Rather," "F-Marry-Kill," and "This or That" with the guys. We discuss deep topics, including Kurt Russell flicks and our friend who has neglected to invite us over for his birthday and thus, in our opinion, should invite us over for the Super Bowl. I become vaguely aware that the game is winding down and the Nets are threatening. I look up and see the Blazers are holding on to a slim two-point lead, and then they turn on the defense again (thank God for Nate McMillan) and shut down the Nets to end the game. Final score: 88-83 in a game that, honestly, never had any business being that close.

All in all, a good night. I've decided the box is great for socializing. However, general admission is where it's at if you actually plan on following the game, so next time I'll see you down there (and have more to report).

Rusty over and out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i've been in boxes before and that's exactly right. you lose interest and start munching on chips and watching the simpsons or whatever. unless it's one heck of a game, and that nets game turned out to be tight so that's kinda surprising....