December 03, 2011

Christmas Tunes

There is this jingle on the radio this holiday season, for a local hair cuttery. It uses a distinct Christmas tune (called Carol of the Bells, I believe) with the words "nine ninety-nine" sung along over the tune.

It is amusing only in that it would make a good Herman Cain campaign jingle.

It annoys me, though, in that I tire of hearing Christmas tunes reduced to business anthems. The holidays have been cheapened enough, without co-opting their music.

In fairness, some holiday tunes were invented as company jingles. Like "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer." Then, of course, there are the holiday movies. "Miracle on 34th Street" has always struck me as a Macy's ad masquerading as a Santa film.

I think this is just a curmudgeonly outburst. Still, if this is how my next 37 Decembers are going to go, this could get rough...

No comments: